Online Reputation Management – key to hotelier’s success
June 24, 2016 eZee Technosys
Online Reputation Management (ORM) is basically the process of keeping a track on online conversations regarding your brand and contriving brand strategies to accentuate positive content from the customer’s view. That’s not all! It also works towards tactfully repressing the negative and potentially detrimental reviews. ORM has become critical to all the industries in today’s era of social media, but for the hospitality industry, it has almost become an unavoidable ‘onus.
ORM has become critical to all the industries in today’s era of social media, but for the hospitality industry, it has almost become an unavoidable ‘onus’
Today no hotel can afford to disregard the power of various online communication platforms available and thus need steadfast systems to manage the online reputation effectively. You need to be on your toes to monitor how your brand is being projected and perceived by the existing customers and potential customers.
The influence of reviews on online reputation
With smartphones and other gadgets so handy, around 85% of people look for online reviews and ratings before making a purchase. Another survey reveals that more than 90% of the people believe online reviews are reliable and look forward to them. These eye-opening statistics divulge how businesses are at the mercy of internet!
Popular web portals like TripAdvisor and Yelp are ranked amongst the topmost review sites by Google. This implicates that a negative user-remark can make a new customer see the apathetic side of your brand. This is surely bound to influence the buyer’s decision.
A negative review may not indicate dissatisfied customer all the time. It can also mean perversity by an unexpected online user, or a deliberate reprimanding by the competitor!
A negative review may not indicate dissatisfied customer all the time. It can also mean perversity by an unexpected online user, or a deliberate reprimanding by the competitor! In any case, you have to be quite vigilant in safeguarding your online reputation and defending it smartly in a way that your business does not suffer adverse consequences in a longer run.
These kinds of ‘bad press’ could dwindle your revenue generation and blemish the hotel’s stature to an irretrievable extent. This is why ORM should be at the cutting edge for your hotel’s marketing strategy. Faster internet access on cell-phones, readily available Wi-Fi and myriads of social networking sites makes it fairly easy for the guests to promptly share their experiences with others while they are still fresh.
Here are some easy-to-use unmatched practices for better ‘Online Reputation Management’ that can be helpful to hoteliers:
- Generating social media profiles in such a way that they are optimized and managed to rank higher in search engine algorithms
- Tracking and handling bleak comments and reviews well in time with a satisfactory reply without losing the patience and with utmost humbleness
- Posting novel travel related contents regularly to enhance your brand visibility, which in turn brings down deteriorating remarks automatically
- Adopting a proactive approach to prevent your brand name from future reputation attacks
- Giving significant exposure to positive and pragmatic links for boosting your brand image over the web
- Sharing feedback with the staff and using it as a worthwhile learning tool. Eventually, it will gradually prevent similar complaints to recur and generate a stream of positive online reviews
- Keep a close track on your ratings on key review sites and determine your goal firmly where you want to be! Set an objective of what you want your guests to say about your hotel once they leave.
Assimilate these key points resiliently into the daily operational plans of your hotel management, and you will see an upsurge in guest contentment, ultimately leading them to write great reviews about your property and thereby ensuring a long-term success for your hotel.